Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Palolem, Day 1

Fishing boat on Palolem

On my first full day in Palolem, I stepped out of the bungalow and onto the beach. When I saw Palolem in the daylight, it took my breath away. It was more beautiful than I had expected! It reminded me of Thailand in many ways. The beach is surrounded by green hills and in the corners of the cove are boulders rising out of the water.
These bungalows are considerably more upscale than where I stayed, and are more private. To get to them you have to wade through the low tide. In high tide, people staying there take a boat over to the main Palolem beach.

This is the beach where the first 5 minutes of The Bourne Supremacy was filmed.
People here approach you with everything they can, trying to sell you things you don't really need. They are very persuasive. I've already bought more than I anticipated so I have to be very careful! They sell things ranging from cds to books, jewelry, batiks, drums, postcards, peanuts, fruit...the works. I bought this skirt too!

And it is always done with a smile. Indians are beautiful people and the women in their saris and salwar kameez are exquisite. Indians and foreigners alike claim Palolem is the best beach in India and Lonely Planet seems to think so too. During off season, you can expect to pay about 400rupees per night for a bungalow, which is about 8.50US dollars a night (prices in December 2007), but the price will rise to about 1,000 by the time Christmas arrives and for a good month afterwards.

There are an equal number of dogs and cows lounging on the beach as if they own the place and they are all really friendly. The dogs like to hang around you when you eat, hoping for scraps, but they are well-mannered enough not to try to steal. They just wait patiently. These dogs absolutely love the beach. I saw some running into the waves this afternoon. They were having so much fun! It was great to see. But be careful at night. They curl up in the sand, asleep, so you have to make sure not to step on them.
Cows chilling and a dog to the right, that gray log-looking thing over there!


p.s. I saw the sunset for the first time since arriving in India. We are on the west coast. It was gorgeous.

No comments: